Monday, February 13, 2012

Surprise!! Let's talk about love.


What do you think of when you hear the word love? I think of many different things! That warm, fuzzy feeling? Chocolate. More chocolate...Fun things. Easy things.

But, the real fact is that love is hard!

Recently, I have been reflecting on how love looks in different relationships.

I first thought about the requirements given to me in regards to loving my children, my spouse, and others. The love chapter quickly shows how challenging real love can be in these relationships. Just insert your name in each place that the word "love" occurs in the following verses, and you will see for yourself what I mean!

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

That's hard.

And then I thought about the way that we are supposed to show our love to God. It leaves me asking, "But, where is the chocolate? Where is the FUN??" My flesh balks.

John 14:15
If you love me, keep my commandments.

Why do I suddenly get a case of the "How about I's?"
How about I worship you in song with my best exuberance?? You would know I love you then, right? How about I give my money to the poor? Or, I know, How about I make some sacrifices? Surely, you know I love you if I do that!

Those things are all good of course, but only if we are walking in obedience first.

Why is obedience so hard? Sometimes I think it is a faith issue. We don't really trust that God has our best in mind. Sometimes it is because God is moving us out of a comfort zone and is calling us to do something that we don't want to do.

You can rest assured that overcoming the "crisis of faith" and following in obedience to God's commands will give you far more than just a warm, fuzzy feeling. What is God asking you to do for Him? Step out in obedience. Today is a great day to say, "I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment