Monday, February 6, 2012

Show Me The Love

Yep. Valentine's Day is coming.

And I am not a girnormous fan of Valentine's Day. I'm not like... against it... or anything. But it's just so... lovey. So... mushy. So... girly.

(I guess it's a good thing that I have only boys.)

So as I walked through the grocery store the other day and passed by the aisle that was pink, pink, pink, and then a little more pink... I thought, "Okay, God... your whole thing is Love. It's like... You. So why am I so "blah" about this Love Day? I mean, I love my husband and try to show him all the time. Why should there be an entire day just to repeat what all my other days are about?"

Annnnnnnnnd BAM. In typical God fashion He answered through scripture. My mind went immediately to these verses...

"So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples." John 13:34-35

Although I might not be Miss Valentines just because I'm not a fan of the holiday, there are a lot of folks out there that don't like Valentine's Day because it hurts. Like…

widows.

Like, my Mamaw. Loved by my Papaw for 60-plus years and then… alone. Alone in a nursing home on the day that we celebrate Love. Alone. And quite possibly feeling UNimportant. UNneeded. UNcelebrated.

UNloved.

So, this year, I think I'm gonna change things up a bit. This year I'm going to celebrate Valentine's with the fervor of a woman trying to show Christ how much I love Him. I'm gonna do Valentine's Day BIG. By showing the UNloved… Love.

So, Mamaw, get your pink on. Cause lady, we're coming on Tuesday geared up with the Love of Christ.

That… and a lot of chocolate!

1 comment: