Thursday, February 16, 2012

I'm Gorgeous ... Inside!


There is a house for sale on our street with the little extra sign, "I'm Gorgeous Inside." It strikes me as funny. It's not that it looks bad on the outside, great curb appeal. But the Realtor feels the need to declare the house's inner beauty. And I wonder, is it really GORGEOUS inside?
After a week of driving past the sign daily, I heard a little whisper from the Holy Spirit ... "Are you really GORGEOUS inside?"
Remember when Samuel is visiting Jesse and his sons, looking for God's chosen king (1 Samuel 16)? Samuel looks at Eliab, tall and strong, and thinks, "Surely, this is him." Verse 7 says, "But the LORD said to Samuel, '… The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'"
In my day to day life, I am often aware of my appearance. If I am going out, there is a certain amount of "getting ready" that must be done. I'm not obsessed with looking good by any stretch. Much to my mother's dismay, I often go out without lipstick on. :) But I do spend time on the outward appearance.
But how often do I consider the condition of my heart? Do I spend enough time keeping it GORGEOUS? And what would that entail? How do I keep my inside beautiful?
Of course, God answered that question for me. 1 Peter 3:3-6 says, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."
As a mom of three, unfortunately "gentle and quiet spirit" doesn't really describe my typical demeanor. It's busy. It's loud. It's even a little too harsh some days. I get tired. I get frustrated. I get grace-less, instead of grace-full.
And once again God calls out, pulling me close, showing me the path to this GORGEOUS inside I seek. "He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth,'" (Psalm 46:10) and "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts," (Deuteronomy 6:5-6).
Simple instructions really. Be still. Know that He is God. Love Him with all my heart, soul, and strength. Follow these steps daily, and I can joyfully say, "I'm GORGEOUS inside!"


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom and experience. I've always known you are Gorgeous! I love you. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. You've always been gorgeous! I love you. mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Heather, for your beautiful insight, and of course for being so gorgeous inside! In my 51 years of life, I have FINALLY begun committing myself each and every morning to spending a very special time with the Lord. So, I just want you to know, you will be blessing me now with your precious writings. You have truly been given a gift that will change lives!
    Your sister,
    Ann Cozad

    ReplyDelete