Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Valuable Lesson

Well, sometimes the best-laid plans....
Regardless of what I had intended to write about today, I believe God has other plans. I received the following in an email from a friend, and it touched me deeply. I am really feeling led to share it. I believe there is someone out there who needs to read it as much as I did.

**********************************

Are You Adoptable?

One of my favorite activities is to visit our local animal shelter. A bittersweet tug on my heart, as I would love to scoop up and take a bunch of the animals home with me-- yet, I know that reality tells me I cannot. So, my time is spent mostly conversing with and petting the animals that I can.

There is one large dog there named "Otis", who is NOT up for adoption. I believe the Lord used this dog to teach me a valuable lesson. When I first started coming to the shelter to visit with the animals, Otis would always growl, bark and sometimes lunge at the cage. It didn't matter how much I would try to talk to him, he was still very stand-offish. Soon, I gave up trying and kept my distance, so as not to cause him any additional stress.

Months went by, and even when in the same room with Otis, I would just ignore him and not go by his cage. Although he wasn't barking or growling at me anymore, I still maintained my distance. I just didn't trust him.

One day a small 4-month-old black lab puppy was placed next to Otis. I went up and started talking to this puppy, gently and playfully. Little did I know that the whole time I was talking to the puppy, old Otis thought I was talking to him. Starved for attention and human touch, Otis placed the side of his body up against the cage so I could pet him.

Was I nervous? You bet I was!!! This was the same dog I thought would bite my hand off. I looked in his eyes and all I saw was one of God's creatures wishing only to be loved. Slowly, I started to pet Otis and call him gently by his name. The joy in his eyes was inexpressible.

How many times, I thought, had I treated a person in the same manner as I had treated Otis? Maybe because of their outside exterior, their gruffness, rudeness or maybe even irritability, had I distanced myself from them or even ignored them? Had I failed to really, really look and see their true inner being? Like Otis, all of us long to be loved and accepted.

Isn't it wonderful that Jesus accepts us and wants us just as we are? He doesn't say, "Come, when you get your life in order" or "Come, when you stop with that bad habit" or "Come, when all your relationships are mended". No, when He says, "Come as you are" that's exactly what He means.

Remember, a kind soft word, gentle hug or smile may be all that is needed to soften the hearts of the Otis's in this world. And yes, Otis is still at that shelter and still one of my most favorite dogs to spend time with!

"Having predestinated us into the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted into the beloved." (Ephesians 1:5-6)

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name." (John 1:12)

"For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus." (Galatians 3:26)

-Michelle Roberts



******************************************

1 comment:

  1. I love it, Amy. Such a precious story. Even doggies long to be touched, loved and spoken to gently. There are so many people in need of those very things.

    I worked with a girl who was cold and hard to get to know. For three or four years, everytime I saw her, I had to greet her first. Only then would she say anything. I can remember the first time she ever greeted me first. It was then that I realized that some people take years to reach. But, how good it feels when they finally connect with you.

    ReplyDelete