Monday, August 30, 2010

In _____ We Trust

This weekend my church family worshiped together knowing it would be the last time we would hear from Jeff Warren as our senior pastor. Maybe he’ll come back one day to preach as a guest, but now he is moving on to lead another church. This kind of change is difficult. Not only are we losing a beloved friend and leader, but we now must face the unknown future.

Do we worry that the next pastor won’t live up to his predecessor’s standard? Do we fear the potential turmoil a search process might stir up? Will people leave in the meantime? Who’s going to lead us in the interim? Why…who…what…? The anxiety potential is potent.

In the life of our church, this situation definitely counts as what the Bible calls a trial. How will we respond, corporately and individually?

I think one of the songs we sang in worship holds the answer:

I’m putting my fears aside
I’m leaving my doubts behind
I’m giving my hopes and dreams to you, Jesus

I’m reaching my hand to yours
Believing there’s so much more
Knowing that all you have in store for me is good, it’s good

Today is the day you have made
I will rejoice and be glad in it
Today is the day you have made
I will rejoice and be glad in it.

And I won’t worry about tomorrow
I’m giving you my fears and sorrows
Where you lead me I will follow
I’m trusting in what you say
Today is the day!

During our Sunday school hour, we are studying the first chapter of James. In 1:2-4, he says “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

I love it when one nugget of truth studied in class is reinforced in the sermon or singing during the worship service. It’s like God is trying to hammer a truth home to me.

No worries. Have faith. You can trust me. Follow my lead, and I will show you greater things than you can imagine. I’m sending Jeff to them, and I’m bringing someone else to you. I am trustworthy, no matter what trials you are facing. Rejoice in this trial, and be glad in today. I’ve got great plans for you!

So whether you are experiencing this challenge with our church, or you have your own trial to face on a personal level, consider your attitude about it. In whom do you trust? In whose hands do you place your hopes and dreams? How will you respond to the adventure that is "today"?

2 comments:

  1. Love your post Kelley! Yesterday was hard and I am scared if I think about it too much today I will start crying again. The thing that helps is we know they are going where God is calling them and God has a plan for FBC too...one of my favorite scriptures that has helped me through another trail in my life Isaiah 42:16 "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
    along unfamiliar paths I will guide them, I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do;I will not forsake them." NIV

    ReplyDelete
  2. That should be "trial" not "trail".

    ReplyDelete