Friday, October 2, 2009

This Beautiful Mess

Okay...I am struggling with what to write this week! So I am sitting here praying about what to write, and amazingly, I began to hear this song by MercyMe:

I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say
[CHORUS]Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest In Your holiness
Word of God speak
I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the nose
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice[REPEAT CHORUS 2x]
I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay

How cool is that? Okay, I have to share that I have found myself "in the midst of" Him in a powerful way the past few weeks. Have you heard of dv8? Well, they not only have cool tshirts, but they are reaching out to at-risk kids in east McKinney, Texas (for those of you who may be out-of-towners). God is weaving lives together in a way that only He could do.

What started out as a plea for help with summer activities from the McKinney Housing Authority, because their budget had been cut, led to a week-long vacation Bible school complete with donated lunch every day and now to a weekly program that operates on a $0 budget, and continues to grow each week. Many of the kids and volunteers were also a part of the annual Clothe A Child event at Kohl's department store which provides school clothes to needy elementary aged kids through generous monetary donations from the community.

To take things even a step further, all of these kids attend schools where mentors from the community volunteer to have lunch with them once a week. I don't know who is more blessed, the kids or the volunteers. Our God is a God of relationships. It is the most important thing He desires to have with us, and what He desires for us to have with each other -- especially with those who are at a disadvantage. When Jesus was on the earth, He was a barrier breaker. He went where others would not go. He sought out those who were rejected. He preached a message of grace, mercy, forgiveness, restoration and hope.

So, if you want to go where Jesus would go if He were in McKinney, Texas today, a good place to start is by contacting 3e McKinney at http://www.3emckinney.com/. 3e McKinney seeks to make a significant and sustainable difference in the lives of people in need in our city by being salt and light. Seeking to rebuild, restore, and renew this city for the cause of Christ.

Another great resource to check out is a book called This Beautiful Mess by Rick McKinley. http://www.rickmckinley.net/wp/2009/09/12/this-beautiful-mess/

No comments:

Post a Comment