Thursday, October 8, 2009

Encouragement

Have you ever known someone who is really encouraging? Someone who always knows how to make a person feel better and seems to always have Jesus shining through them as they speak to others? I have a friend like that. A few years ago when we were taking a Bible study class together, she would go up to the teacher every week after class to shake her hand or give her a hug and tell the leader what a great job she had done. Encouraging. I remember watching her and thinking, "I want to be like that." And several years later, I still want to be like that. I want to build others up, not tear them down. I want to show Jesus by the words I speak. Yet, I still struggle at making this part of my routine.

The Bible speaks several times throughout Scripture about encouragement:
  • Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. I Thessalonians 5:11
  • But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. Hebrews 3:13
  • Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:25

From these verses, I learn that I am to encourage others daily--but am I? Are you? I don't know that I can honestly say I am. There are some days when the best I can do is just make it through the day. However, when I think about the days that I do take the time to encourage others, I realize how much better those days tend to be. The days when I do remember to listen to the nudge that's urging me to say something kind, I find that I am blessed as well.

So, what do you say we try it? I challenge you (and me!): Let's make it a habit to encourage someone every day--whether it's your husband or the person behind the counter at the store, find something that can build someone else up and share it. Maybe it's your minister or your boss; maybe it's the doctor or the school teacher....Whoever it is, my guess is they could use a kind word.

And for some of you, your first job may be to start by saying kind things to yourself. Build yourself up as well. The Lord has great plans for His people, and He did not make a mistake with any one of us. Don't let the Enemy's lies tie you down. We are the King's Creation, so let's start acting like it!

(For those of you taking this challenge, I'd love it if you'd post a comment about how you encouraged someone--or how someone else encouraged you.)



7 comments:

  1. Kim- I loved your post!!
    I have found lately, that anytime I need to hear encouragement.. I hear Pastor Jeff's voice in my head and this is what he says,
    "It's Friday now, but Sunday's COMIN'!!!"

    That made such a powerful impact on me, way back when. I know it originally meant Easter, but it applies to this whole LIFE in general...
    :-) Matter of fact, I just heard him saying that this morning (in my head)... :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement to encourage. :) I used to love sending cards to people just because...I have a box full of cards but have not taken the time to do this in way too long. I am going to start sending one card a week like I used to. I miss it. Thank you so much for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post today Kim! You know it is so true if we will just take a few minutes to encourage someone whether we do it in person, over the phone or through an email it can make such a difference in their day and our own day. Today you have encouraged me to remember to do this more often. I will join you and take the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Kim! And thank you for reminding me to start at home with myself and the kiddos! A little goes a long way. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post.You are always so positive on facebook and your blog. Being positive around negative people is hard so thanks for being the salt and light in a sometimes dark and tastless world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great topic...I enjoyed it. You're right, sometimes it's hard to be encouraging but I'm uplifted when someone encourages me so I will definitely take the challenge with you!

    ReplyDelete