Monday, June 4, 2012

Inadequacy and Fear

Several Sunday's ago Pastor Lee spoke on the topic of fear. There isn't a person alive that hasn't struggled with fear. In his message he asked us to reflect on our own personal fears. Did you take the time to figure out what fears may be holding you back from being all God wants you to be?

One issue I deal with is the feeling of inadequacy. This surfaces as a fear of failure. Often this will keep me from trying new things, and I know I miss opportunities for God to use me. I remind myself that God used people like Moses. Moses became afraid because of a feeling of inadequacy. We all know how mightily God ended up using him. In fact, I remind myself that MOST people God used felt inadequate. It's like a prerequisite. The whole reason that fear can become a temptation in our life is because God often calls us to perform in areas where we don't feel good enough. It is one way he can use us for his glory. He won't ever forsake us in these moments where we must step out in faith. His glory is at stake. Our feelings of inadequacy do not need to surface as fear!

Moses didn't miraculously become eloquent when God began to use him. I don't think he ever did become that way. God enlisted Aaron to help him! What happened was Moses allowed God to use him in spite of his inadequacy. He overcame the fear and trusted God.

I know if I just step out in faith in those instances when I feel afraid because I am not good enough, yet still feel the Holy Spirit urging me, that God will give me the ability to succeed. He will do the same for you.

The next time fear wants to cripple you,  recall the promises of God. In 1 Peter 5:7 the Bible says, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." We are also told that with the help of Christ we can do everything he calls us to do. And lastly, here are some words from the psalmist."I love you, Lord; you are my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the strength of my salvation, and my stronghold...In your strength I can crush an army; with my God I can scale any wall." Psalm 18:1-2, 29

No comments:

Post a Comment