Saturday, April 23, 2011

Hidden



An over scheduled weekend was behind us, and bedtime was fast approaching. With Marty at a business dinner, I was outnumbered 3 to 1, and in the middle of my best delivery of zone defense. Hoping to clean the kitchen and still maintain our regular bedtime routine, I sent the kids into the den to watch a little TV.

Moments later, I heard my middle daughter, Lily emerge with a perplexed look on her sweet face. Immediately, I stopped what I was doing, as tears began to fill her big brown eyes. As I listened to her heart, I realized bedtime was going to have to be briefly postponed. For a teachable moment was upon me, and the world would not wait.

Rather than the "innocent" programming I had anticipated on a children's network that we watch regularly, my children had come upon a show about the world's differing religious views. "How can they not know Jesus, Mommy? How do they not see?" Lily asked in pained bewilderment. As her words penetrated my heart, I was gently reminded that "your eye is the lamp of your body." (Luke 11:34) Lily's faith-filled eyes see her beautiful Savior so easily. How I wish it were so for us all. Sadly, that is not the case.

By now my two other gifts from Heaven had joined us, and all eyes were on me. I took my children into my arms, grateful that God chose me to be the one to lead them to the Cross. Each of them accepted Christ as their Savior at an early age. None of my precious children can recall a time when Jesus wasn't a trusted friend on whom they could call. His love has never been hidden from their lives.

Hoping to speak some perspective into my troubled child's heart, I spoke gently and prayed for wisdom. "Lily, sweetheart. This is a family who believes and truth is all around you. Scripture teaches us that Jesus is the only way to eternal life, and that the gift of grace is ours to receive freely." I continued, "Never forget that even when Jesus walked among us, there were few who could truly see their Savior in their midst. Sometimes life gets too dark for some to see."

For some, the truth is hidden. It was true then. It is still true today. The Bible teaches us "When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness. See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness." (Luke 11:35-36) Jesus Christ, alone, is the light that leads the way to salvation. Still, many do not see.

Today, our world is growing ever darker as all of creation groans in the fallout of sin. This world is broken. By poverty. Injustice. Greed. Pride. It is a world gripped by the consequences of sin. As Christ followers, we must have eyes to see the world as it is. But, then we must have courage to share the love of Christ with those whom the truth remains hidden. For "blessed are your eyes because they see." (Matthew 13:16)

Heavenly Father,
We praise You for the gift of eyes that see truth. Because of Christ alone, we are free to approach you boldly, as your adopted sons and daughters. Let us have compassion and patience with those who are blind to the Son. Give us courage to share the truth about who Christ is, so that others may see.
-Amen


Reflection: Is there someone in your midst from whom the truth is hidden?

No comments:

Post a Comment