Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Finish Line

A couple of weeks ago I ran my first 5K ever!  I decided a couple of years ago I wanted to be a runner but never followed through.  Back in December I think it was I thought this next year I am going to run a 5K and that is what I did.  I started training for it.  I have a friend that is a runner and she would give me tips along the way and answer my one million questions I would have.  Finally, the big day came.  There was lots of excitement the day of the race.  Several of my friends were running which made it nice to know someone there.  They finally called everyone for the 5K and I went to line up and then the race started. 

Along the way there were moments I got tired.  I think the beginning was one of the hardest parts of the race because we were going uphill.  My goal was to finish this race.  I knew I was not going to come in first place but that I would finish the race.  As I was approaching the finish line I could here my name....there were people cheering me on. It was actually Kim who writes for Stitches too and her husband - they had already finished and were standing at the finish line. 

Hebrews 12:1-3 says " (1) Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (2) Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (3) Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Just like I was running my 5K with the "Finish Line" as my goal we have to keep running in this life and keep our eyes on Christ.  Can you imagine the day that this race called life is over and Jesus is at the "Finish Line".

As I mentioned there were times the race was hard.  While I was training leading up to the race there were times I would wonder if I could really do this.  Just like in this life we go through hard times and trials.  I look at the second part of verse 1 in Hebrews chapter 12.  "and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us".  We all have a different race marked out for us and God is with us all the time, He is with us each time we pick our foot up to take that next step. 

Whatever you may be going through God is with you. Keep your eyes on Him through whatever your circumstances may be and just think of the day that you cross the Final Finish Line!



1 comment:

  1. I admire anyone that can run a 5K! Way to go :)

    It's so true that life is like a 5K where we go through phases of exhaustion and energy, but it truly will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete