Thursday, February 24, 2011

Every Knee Will Bow

This year I joined a new Bible study group, and we are studying the book of Isaiah. Isaiah is one of those books that I have always found to be hard, so I haven't stayed in it for too long at a time. (Yes, I guess maybe that means I give up easily...) However, I am loving it now. It is still just as hard as it has ever been, but I am not doing it alone, and that in itself makes it easier. There's so much more learning and gleaning when you go through it together. Of course, that is another post for another day....

What I want to focus on today is part of Isaiah that I've just been studying. In the latter part of Isaiah 45, God says, "Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth." (v22) He then goes on to say, "Before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear." (v23) (We hear this same idea recorded later in Philippians 2:10-11 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.)

Did you notice? He has extended His invitation to all the ends of the earth. And it says every knee and every tongue. There will come a day when every person who has ever lived will realize the truth about God and about Jesus. And at that point, it will be too late for those who didn't realize it before. Judgment will be made.

I know that we don't like to think about it, and we really don't like to talk about it, because it's so much easier to focus on grace and love and not stepping on anyone's toes. I know that I certainly don't spend my days sharing these truths with everyone I meet. I don't start a conversation with, "So, what do you think about Jesus?" Even tomorrow, after this is written, I don't think that is the way my conversations will start. However, I am realizing (again) that I do need to make some changes. I can't let Christianity be a club. It's not about fitting in or knowing the Bible better than the person next to me. It's about Jesus and letting others learn the truth about the only one who saves.

How can I say I love someone and not tell them about Jesus? If Jesus is truly my Savior, my Lord, my Best Friend, the Love of my life, then why wouldn't I want to share Him with others? After all, He died for my sins so that I wouldn't have to....He overcame death and rose again and set me free from eternal bondage (to put it lightly). Shouldn't I want others to have that same gift?

Why do I worry so much about what people are going to think of me that I shy away from telling them about the one thing that matters? If they disagree, they are not rejecting me. They are rejecting Christ. Yet, I grow scared and clumsy with my words, so--more times than not--I just don't speak.

I don't write this thinking that it's suddenly going to be easier for me to share Christ with others. In and of myself, I will still have just as much fear and trembling. However, if I'd just get out of the way and let Jesus speak through me, He's got this covered. He knows how to do it--and He wants to use me...and you...to share Himself with the world.

He's told us the ending. One day every knee will bow--some will be facing their Savior, many will be facing their Judge. I know that I want the people in my life to be bowing before Him in awe of His goodness, not cowering before Him knowing their mistake.

Lord, help us--help me--to be unafraid to share Your truth. Your truth is what sets us free, and we long to share it with the world. You are so gracious to us. You long for each of us to repent of our sins and turn to You. God, help us to be bold witnesses for Your glory. You alone deserve our praise.


No comments:

Post a Comment