Monday, June 7, 2010

Lord, I'm Amazed

Yesterday at church we sang a song, the lyrics of which distracted me from the lovely melody. "Lord, I'm amazed by you," the words go, repeating three times. One might be silently agreeing with the concept that, yes, the Lord is amazing. After all, there's so much about him that is awesome, powerful, inspiring, worthy of worship. But it was the final line of the refrain that took my mind in another direction.

"Lord, I'm amazed by you...how you love me."

What's amazing here is how he loves me. The fact that he loves me. That his love for me drove him to the cross on my behalf. That his love never wavers even when I turn my back on him, disobey and snub his direction. That I can do nothing to earn--and therefore lose--his love. I am amazed!

And all that got me thinking about my children.

They could basically sing the same thing about me, except that I don't love perfectly. But I do love them in ways that should amaze their newborn, preschool, and elementary aged little minds. I feed them, clothe them, hug and kiss them, carry them, comfort them, instruct them, provide everything their little beings need at this time in their lives. They are helpless without me (and Daddy). And when they disobey and yell and whine and hit and bite and make terrible choices...I still love them. It just doesn't matter what they do--the love remains.

The song included a beautiful word picture: "You dance over me, though I never hear the sound..." And it reminded me of the times I held my babies in my arms, usually at bedtime, and danced in the dark with them for just a few moments before putting them down to sleep. Those were sweet, treasured moments.

And so it is with our heavenly Father. "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." (Zeph. 3:17)

Becoming a parent has done more for my perspective on the love of God than any theology course or sermon ever did. Even discipline means something different now. It's like I get it. Father/Mother love isn't dependent on behavior. My kids might disappoint me but I'll never not love them.

God tells us, and shows us, the same thing. Lord, I'm amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment