Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day

Yesterday was father's day. It's a day when we take some time out to recognize & appreciate the dad's in our lives. I am so fortunate to have a wonderful dad who sets a Godly example for my family. My husband is an amazing father who has more than the average dad on his plate with a son with a disability and 3 daughters. A disability that may prevent our son from someday being a father. The Medical community says that there aren't any offspring from the young men with Duchene Muscular Dystrophy at least not any to our knowledge. My husband's dad passed away in 1996. He too was an incredible man that raised an incredible man. Many of the things he taught my husband are being taught to our children. But this leaves a space in our lives that was once full. Thankfully my dad works hard to be a Godly influence to our kids and knows he is their only Papa.

I think back to my grandfathers and the influence they have had in my parents lives. My parents came from very different backgrounds. My mom from a strong Godly influence that attended church every time the doors were open, my dad from a home that didn't attend church unless there was a very special occasion and then probably not ever with his dad. 

Amazingly enough God placed an uncle in my dad's path that stepped in and gave that Godly influence. My dad went to live with his Mom's brother & wife as a teenager. Uncle Bill & Aunt Nellis took my dad to church, it happened to be the church that my mom attended. My uncle Bill passed away a few years ago. I never had the chance to thank my Uncle Bill for his influence in my dad's life. But I was able to tell his wife, Aunt Nellis, how important their influence was before she passed away. If they had not allowed my Dad live with them for a while and teach him their values - one of which was going to church - my dad might have turned out to be a very different person. Today my dad is making a constant impact in lives of men around him of all ages. Dad is a Minister to Senior Adults and Missions at a church in Denison. He is especially impacting the lives of his 3 grandsons.

Psalms 68:5 says, "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows..."

My prayer for all of you today is that you will be blessed by the influence of a Godly father figure. Whether that person is your biological or adopted father or an extended family member or or maybe even your husband as he grows into the man God has planned for him to be or a Godly man in your life.

I'm so glad that God isn't done working on me or my husband or even my dad yet. I truly believe that each day brings with it an opportunity to learn and grow. As long as we put our focus on God first, Family second the rest will fall into place.

Remember (if you haven't already) to take some time to show your love & appreciation for the men in you life. Support them and lift them up in prayer for the difficult but rewarding role God has called them to.

May God bless you this week and bless others thru you.

No comments:

Post a Comment