Monday, June 14, 2010

And Though My Heart is Torn...



I have sat down to write this blog entry so many times over the past few days. I knew exactly what I wanted (needed) to write about. My problem is that the weekend is too raw and too fresh and the words just won't come (yet). I think I am still a little in shock, really.


I will just tell you that I was in Arkansas camping this past weekend. I'm sure you have heard the news about the deadly flash flooding, and the tragic loss of lives. The campground that was wiped out was kind of a "sister" campground to the one where we go.. about six miles up the road. The trip had been planned for almost a year, but had we known just how bad the situation was up in AR, we probably would not have left early Friday morning to drive up.


My cousin and her family were already there. They went up a day ahead of us, and weathered the storms in the wee hours of last Friday morning... too close for comfort to a creek suddenly turned raging river out of its banks, and roaring during the night like a freight train.


The images from the weekend are burned into my mind and I will never forget them. My family is alive and well, thank the Lord. We grew up camping at Shady Lake, and quite frequently made day trips over to Albert Pike, the campground that was destroyed by the floods. It is like a second home to our family.


As I said, it is too overwhelming to write about at the moment. I would ask that you just please join me in prayer for all the families of the victims, and also for the rescue workers doing such a tough, but necessary job.




"I guess what God is showing me is... that sometimes
He calms the storms in our lives.
And sometimes He just rides them with us.
But either way, blessed be the name of the Lord."

-- Mark Hall, lead singer, Casting Crowns



Dedicated to the victims and their loved ones..







"Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way

and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea."

Psalm 46:2



No comments:

Post a Comment