Monday, August 10, 2009

The Voice

I'll be honest... writing a blog entry was the last thing on my mind today. Having just returned from a ten-day adventure in Colorado with my family, I was heading toward (I thought) only dinner, laundry and sleep! After a quick glance at the blog calendar, I quickly figured out that- Yikes!- yes, it truly is my turn to write. Today!

The funny thing is, I didn't feel an all-too-familiar sense of panic creeping in. I felt a deep, inner calm and I immediately knew what I would share today.

You see, ten short days ago, my family and I headed off into beautiful southwestern Colorado with a group of friends, nine motorcycles, and one van. A loose itinerary and a huge dependence on God-- that He would keep us safe and show us the way.

What I did not expect was just how awesomely He would reveal Himself to us through His majestic creations.. through Nature itself. From our drive into Amarillo, Texas on the first stormy night of the trip where we saw dramatic lightning strikes across the landscape as far as our eyes could see... to playful chipmunks playing near waterfalls who would come eat directly from our hands... to our unforgettable visit to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, where we could have watched the light play for hours across the striped canvas of the Painted Wall. Through all of these things and many more... we felt God there with us.

We were reminded just how small we are in the grand scheme of things, and yet how very much we matter to God, as He took care of us in even the smallest of details. We watched almost zero television, heard little radio, were generally "unplugged" from life as usual. And when all the noise of life fell away... we could hear His voice so clearly.

We've only been home a few hours, and yet already, life is coming at us fast & furiously. I am going to try my hardest this week to keep that calmness, that stillness with me. To keep hearing God's voice so clearly. To focus on Him so completely that all else dims in comparison.

I urge you to do the same. When things are becoming too much this week, take a moment to find a quiet corner, read your Bible, thank Him for all He continually is in your life.

I have been reminded so many times in these past days on the road, of Casting Crowns' beautiful song, "The Voice of Truth". Please click on the link, take a listen and not just to their song.... but to The Voice.

I pray that each of you reading would hear the Voice of Truth today. May God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment