Monday, January 21, 2013

Truth or Lies?

I have been interested in hearing some of the story of Lance Armstrong this week, however I did not watch his interview.  I have never been "follower" of cycling, but I do remember the big deal made from Armstrong's Tour de France wins.
What has struck me from the things I have read is how deep Armstrong was into his lies - so much so that he justified what he was doing as okay.


"At the time it did not feel wrong?" Winfrey asked.
"No," Armstrong replied. "Scary."
"Did you feel bad about it?" she pressed him.
"No," he said. "Even scarier."
"Did you feel in any way that you were cheating?"
"No," Armstrong paused. "Scariest."
"I went and looked up the definition of cheat," he added a moment later. "And the definition is to gain an advantage on a rival or foe. I didn't view it that way. I viewed it as a level playing field."


Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/01/17/armstrong-lost-myself-in-doping-starting-nearly-20-years-ago/#ixzz2IfC1SgjR


He did not even think what he was doing was wrong. 

And because of this, he influenced others to do that same or threw them under the bus if they opposed them.


This struck me again as I worked on my Bible study this week.  In Genesis, Lot (Abraham's nephew) is mentioned several times, but not necessarily in a good light.  Lot started out with Abraham, following God and seeking after His will.  At one time, Lot and Abraham separated and Lot chose to move and live close to and in Sodom.  Over time, Lot and his family became a part of the society and culture of Sodom.  The problem was, the people of Sodom were "exceedingly wicked."  Instead of having a positive influence on the people he lived with, Lot was influenced by them.  He had been told the lies so many times (by himself and others), he believed them to be true.  God used several situations to try and warn Lot but finally had to pull him out of the city to escape being destroyed.


This has gotten me to thinking about my own life.  Is there a sin is so entrenched in my life that I don't even see it as sin anymore?  Am I leading others down the road of sinfulness as well?  I pray that God would grab a hold of me and redirect me before I get to that point.  I want to walk with Him so closely that there is no question about what is right and what is wrong, what is from God and what is not.  

Will you join me in this pursuit of God?  You can't do it on your own.  Get involved in a Bible study that focuses on God's Word.  Make sure you recognize God's voice when He speaks to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment