Monday, January 28, 2013

All Things Work Together for Good

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 NIV

This is the verse God has given me and my family in the last year. We are clinging to it like a lifeline. Challenge after challenge. Trial after trial. Lesson after lesson.

During the holiday season, a series of illnesses and "life" moments kept me away from church on Sunday mornings, until December 23. I was determined to go that day and help lead KidzWorship, knowing it would be a fun, Christmas carol filled morning. And that morning, along with several Christmas songs, we sang, "All things work together for good to those who love God ..." I knew God was smiling down on me. Just a little reminder. Just a gentle hug. Don't lose faith now. I'm still here, working all things for your good and the good of your family.

I didn't know then how much I needed to hear that. I needed to hear it, grasp it, claim it, marinate in it. More than once, in the weeks since Christmas, my human heart has questioned the verse. How? How can this, this thing, be worked for my good or my family's good or my child's good? Show me. I need to see the map. I need to see the future.

After a particularly difficult night last week, the following morning on Facebook, at least 5 different people has posted some version of this verse. Okay, God. I'm still listening. Teach me again.

It's hard; isn't it? Have you been there? Are you there now? Friend, I give you this verse, as many have given it to me in days past. Hold onto this lifeline.

And we know ... not "we hope," not "we think," not "we pray" ... we KNOW.

that in all things ... yes, all things ... ALL.

God works for the good ... God works. It's nothing you or I can do. God is working. And he is working for the good. GOOD.

of those who love him ... do you love God? Honestly, wholeheartedly LOVE him? How do you show him your love?

who have been called ... beloved, God is calling you. He is calling you to his side. He is calling you to his work. Are you heeding his call?

according to his purpose ... So, here it is. Do you know and understand God's purpose for your life? Are you living according to his purpose? Have faith and be encouraged. God has a purpose for your life, and he has designed you perfectly for that purpose. He also has a purpose for this time of trial or pain or challenge that you are going through.

He will work all things, yes all, to your good.

No comments:

Post a Comment