Wednesday, January 25, 2012

New Jerusalem

In the last few weeks, I've been introduced to a song that I cannot get out of my head.  The song is by Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, and it's called New Jerusalem.  You can see the words below:


If words could describe 
The longing in my heart 
For the place prepared for me 
When I think of Heaven's glory 
Awaiting the redeemed 
All within me rises up 
At the thought of what will be 

How I long for the new Jerusalem 
Just to see my Savior's face 
All my heart is in Jerusalem 
My home my resting place 

I've heard that the streets are paved with gold 
And the light there never fades 
I've heard of treasures to behold 
That words could not explain 
And the praise of the saints like an ocean 
Holy is the Lamb that was slain 

No more crying no more pain 
Every tear will be wiped away 
All suffering on earth will cease 
Forevermore at peace 
Jerusalem Jerusalem



As I've pondered these words, I've at the same time been studying Thessalonians, and 1 Thessalonians in particular has a theme of "Jesus is coming back!".  On top of that, we have been going through the book of Revelation at church on Sunday mornings, which is obviously about the end times and Christ's return.  So, 3 different things--all pointing to the end times and Jesus' return....


Whenever God decides to show me a message in more than one way, I know that it's usually time to pay attention.  In this instance, it has reminded me that this is not my home.  Though I know that, it is so easy to get caught up in the temporal rather than the eternal.  This world is hard, but there are still a lot of things I love about it--family, friends, my church, social media, TV shows, music, books, vacation spots....I could go on.  The point is, this world can get rather comfortable.  It becomes almost easy for me to hope for a long life rather than thinking about my eternal life--and the eternal lives of others.  I lose my focus.


Instead of thinking about if my neighbor knows Jesus, I think about the party I'm attending.  Instead of focusing on my eternal home with Jesus, I focus on what needs improved on my home on Earth.  I think sometimes it's hard to find a balance.  We're supposed to be in the world but not of the world.  Yet, the world is what we see and hear all day every day.  If we're not careful, we lose sight (or at least I do!) of our purpose.


You see, Jesus IS coming back.  He wins, and all those who believe in Him get to spend eternity with Him.  So, shouldn't I be focusing on that?  Shouldn't I want to reach those who don't know Him?  I might be the only chance they get to see Jesus.  And when I read the words above about seeing my Savior's face, no more crying, no more pain, I do long for the New Jerusalem.  I long to see my Jesus....but before I do, I want to make sure that my friends are going to see Him, too.


Do you know Him?  If you do, I can't wait to spend eternity praising Him with you!  If you aren't sure, I would love to talk with you about my Lord and Savior, Jesus.  He is the reason for everything.  He can fill that empty longing inside.  He can dry your tears.  And He is the only one who will never let you down.


How I long for the New Jerusalem....And how I long to be there with every one of you....











No comments:

Post a Comment