Thursday, December 22, 2011

Do You Hear What I Hear?

One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is the music. I confess I am one of those people that starts listening to Christmas music on November 1. Music has always been in my heart. It is part of my heritage, the legacy handed down to me from generations of musicians and singers.

Actually, more accurately, we are loud singers, singing praises to our Lord with all our heart & soul. I have many childhood memories of my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, singing in church or in my grandparents' living room, all with big, booming voices.

As an adult, I always enjoyed returning to my parents' church to hear their choir sing. My dad would stand in the center of the back row, and even over the orchestra I could hear his voice.

I missed going to their Christmas program this year, but my sister went. She shared the same experience, and said, "I don't know if his voice is really that strong and loud or if I just know his voice."

Oh, wow! What a wonderful lesson this Christmas! Do you hear your Father's voice?

In John 10, Jesus describes himself as the Good Shepherd. He says, "The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice," [John 10:2-5 NIV]. He continues, “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me," [John 10:14 NIV].

Do you hear Him and know Him? Will you follow?

Do you hear the Holy Child crying in the manger, crying "I am here?"
Do you hear the Angels singing on high, singing "Come and worship?"
Do you hear the boy in the temple, teaching "I am here doing my Father's business?"
Do you hear Jesus on the seaside, calling, "Come and follow?"
Do you hear Him, teaching, "Love one another as I have loved you?"
Do you hear Christ on the cross, praying, "Father, forgive them?"
Do you hear Jesus on the mountain top, charging, "Go and teach others?"

Over the orchestra, over the music, over all the noise and busy-ness and craziness of this Christmas season, take a minute to stop and listen. Hear God's voice. Hear Him and Know Him.

Merry Christmas from all of us at Stitches! Thank you for joining us in the journey with God. May your Christmas be rich with God's blessings and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment