Thursday, September 6, 2012

Faithful

The one who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.  I Thessalonians 5:24    

For the past two years, I Thessalonians 5:24 has been one of my "go-to" verses--a verse that I cling to when things get tough.  Our family began the adoption process on August 16, 2010--over two years later, we are still in the process.  So, as the weeks turned into months and then the months into years, this verse has reminded me again and again of God's faithfulness.  He promised this child to us, and He always keeps His promises.

There have been countless instances in the past two years when the Lord has reminded us that He is with us on this journey, that He in fact is guiding and directing us on this journey.  Two things in particular have happened lately though, and I have been blown away by the Lord's goodness, by His love for me.

Five weeks ago, I received a phone call from a friend from my college days.  We hadn't talked in about a year and a half, though we've kept up with each other some through Facebook and blogs.  When she called, for some reason I thought maybe she was going to say she was in town (she lives out of state).  I was wrong.  Instead, she called because, through a series of events, she had inherited a significant sum of money.  She was calling because she wanted to give that money to us for our adoption.  I was amazed, surprised, and thrilled--but I also knew it would probably be two more years before we'd need that money since adoptions have slowed to a snail's pace in Ethiopia.  However, as I said, I was so grateful and felt that the Lord was confirming again that we were doing exactly what He wanted.  It was the reminder I needed that He has every detail taken care of, and I simply need to trust and obey Him in His perfect timing (easier said than done, I know!).

Then, two weeks later, on August 16, 2012--two years to the day since we began the adoption process (and also my birthday)--the Lord overwhelmed us in an instant.  In an incredible turn of events, we were matched with a child.  Suddenly our adoption was no longer years from completion; rather, now it's only a few more months until we can bring her home.

Upon accepting our referral, we owed our agency $7400--did I mention that the amount my college friend had given us was $7000?!  The money I thought we wouldn't need for two more years we suddenly needed two weeks later!  What I thought was a nice reminder from God that He was with us in the long wait was so much more than that--it was the funds we needed to move forward as the Lord prepares to bring our daughter home to us!  It was Him making a way for His plan to be fulfilled.

It was as though I could hear the Lord saying, "See, I told you.  I am faithful.  I will do it."  His goodness and mercy astound me.  We are so undeserving; yet He has chosen to bless us in this way.  He has proven Himself again and again, and, He has shown us how much He loves each of us and how very clearly He is involved in our lives.  He is faithful.  If He calls you to something, He will complete it.  I can't promise it'll go exactly how you thought it would (adoption certainly hasn't for us), but I can promise that the Creator of the Universe knows what He is doing.  And if He says He's going to do something, He will.  Even if we are unfaithful, He is always faithful.  And He never breaks His promise.  He is so very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment