Friday, August 31, 2012

Oh, to be Uncommon!

Earlier this summer, my younger kids (6 & 4 yrs) were in a big discussion about how babies came out of the momma's tummy. As I eavesdropped on their conversation, I knew what was coming. My 6 yr old son approached, hands on hips, "Mom, where do babies come out?" Quick prayer, "Lord, give me the words. Let me say enough, but not too much."

I answered honestly, "God made a special path for the babies to come out. Normally, the baby comes out a hole between the mom's legs close to where the pee comes from. Sometimes, a baby is stuck or there are other problems, and the doctor has to cut the mom's stomach across here [pointing to the lower abdomen]. That is how P1 was born because he did not want to come out of Mom's tummy."

Of course, P2 asked, "How did I come out?" "They told us you just slid right out the regular way. All 4 1/2 pounds of you," I said smiling. And Sweet P asked, "How about me? How did I come out?" "The regular way," I answered.

And suddenly, she was stomping and pouting, arms crossed, clearly mad. I said, "What's wrong? Why are you mad?" She exclaimed, "I don't want to be just plain!" Suppressing the laughter, I explained that it was better for the baby and the momma, if the baby is born the regular way. Honestly, she was not convinced, and it's really no surprise. The only thing plain about this girl is her favorite flavor of ice cream - vanilla, which she calls "just plain."

In reflecting on this, I was struck by that desire to be special, to not just be regular, plain, common. This morning I was overwhelmed by my common-ness. A groggy reading of my morning devotion. Stumbling to the coffee maker. Tripping over the mess on the stairs. Digging through unfolded, clean laundry to find clothes for DH and kids. This is simply a common life. I am not striving to serve my family with joy. I am not reaching to give God my best. Where is that yearning to be uncommon?

When I was in grad school, a professor challenged me to find a life purpose statement. After much thought, writing and re-writing, I decided on, "To give the extraordinary, when others expect the ordinary." Guess, like Sweet P, I was yearning to be more than plain.

So here I am today, confessing my common-ness. I've been getting by, dwelling in the ordinary. Holy Spirit, Let me not be content to be plain. Pull me and prod me. Help me only desire to be set apart ... extraordinary.

I am gonna do it. Will you join me? Let's strive to be extraordinary. Let's reach for the uncommon. Let's be transformed and set apart, so there is no doubt who we are. After all, we are the daughters of The King ... and, as Sweet P would tell you, princesses are never plain.

Romans 12:2

New International Version (NIV)
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


Psalm 4:3

New International Version (NIV)
Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.


No comments:

Post a Comment