Thursday, August 9, 2012

It's Good To Be Alive

As I was in the car today, I heard these words on the radio:

I wanna live 
Like there's no tomorrow
Love
Like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive...

I won't take it for granted
I won't waste another second
All I want is to give you
A life well lived
To say, "thank you"
--Jason Gray, It's Good to be Alive

After being home for about an hour I still had them in my head, so I decided to look them up to see who sang the song.  And the words just penetrated my soul.  Is there a word in that song that actually represents how I live?  Do I live and love like there's no tomorrow?  Or do I waste time?  Do I take things for granted?

I imagine if you were to ask yourself those questions, our answers might be similar.  No, I don't live like it's my last day.  Yes, I waste time and take things for granted.  How many times in the past week alone have I watched 4 hours of Olympics coverage in one sitting? (even though oftentimes I already knew the outcome because I'd looked up the results before it aired!)  I think that qualifies as wasting time.  And yes, I've justified it by telling myself it's only on once every 4 years--but really, how often do I sit immersed in the Word or in prayer for 4 hours at one time?  Or how often do I spend 4 hours serving the least of these during the week?

I am all for down time, and I believe that resting (in its various forms) is a healthy thing, so please don't hear me saying that you should always be doing something "spiritual."  That isn't my point at all.  The point is, I want to live my life in such a way that declares His glory.  And, in order to do that, I need to spend less of my life wasting time and more of my life being filled by Him.  I know when I'm Spirit-filled, I'm more likely to have a life that resonates with this portion of the lyrics.  I want to live and love with the reckless abandon of one who knows the Truth.  I want to live a life that is pleasing to the Lord, to find joy in Him so that I can declare, "It's good to be alive!"  (And really, that isn't easy to do when I spend the day staring at a TV or computer screen and then try to cram in my Bible reading during commercial breaks.)

So now, today, I wanna live fully, love fully, and dwell in the richness that comes with being alive in Christ.  Because in Christ, it certainly is good to be alive.




No comments:

Post a Comment