Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why Be You, When You Can Be New?

So, my youngest son lovvvvvvves the movie Robots.

Okay, I'll admit it. I love it too! My husband is an inventor and an out-of-the-box kind of guy and so any story along those lines just totally matches up with our family!

Well, aside from the many inspiring parts of the movie, there is one scene in particular that caught my attention today when the movie was playing in the background. Essentially, the old-school boss of the corporation (Bigweld) has been booted to the side and the fancy-pants money-making robot (Ratchet) has taken his place. Ratchet has decided that it is time to stop making spare parts for the robots forcing them to "upgrade" into expensive shiny new parts.

And it was his sales pitch that got my attention…
What's our big ticket item? ("Eye Of The Tiger" plays while images of sleek, sexy robots appear on a screen all the robots are watching) Upgrades, people, upgrades. That's how we make the dough. Now if we're telling robots that no matter what they're made of they're "fine", how can we expect them to feel crummy enough about themselves to buy our upgrades and make themselves look better? Therefore, I've come up with a new slogan: "Why be you, when you can be new?"

Originally I started to think about how this is such a parallel to our society. We are pushed by marketing into that mentality of "feeling crummy enough about ourselves to buy upgrades"… upgrades being, like, a zillion things… wrinkle cream, makeup, expensive hair gel (ummmmm yeah, tell that's a personal issue of mine- haha), hair extensions, nails, tanning, containers of SlimFast, subscriptions to Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers, gym memberships, personal trainers, laser hair removal, contacts, tats, earrings, jewelry, clothes, shoes, purses, lasik, hair dye, highlights, extensions, Botox, plastic surgery, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Now, don't get me wrong... I have worn contacts, had lasik, occasionally wear makeup, have had a gym and a Weight Watchers membership. I've tanned, got highlights for my wedding, paid a mint for acrylics, and I would love laser hair removal. I can't even count how many purses, shirts, and shoes I've owned over the years.

But… well. None of that "newness" matters. I was still the same… me.

Except where Jesus has made me new.

Like I said, originally my entire goal was to mock the catch phrase "Why be you, when you can be new", but the more I thought about it… the more I realized… wow. That really is enticing if the right voice is saying it to me.

Why be you… addicted to food?
Why be you… a liar and a gossip?
Why be you… who has the self-confidence of a flea?
Why be you… full of lust and greed?
Why be you… self-centered and weak?

So Jesus says to me, "Why be you… when you can be new?" But it's the kind of "new" that won't be out of style next season. It's the kind of new that feels amazing on earth and will be even better in heaven. It's the kind of new that I want to be. need to be. am designed to be.

Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment