Monday, May 23, 2011

The Narrow Path


“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.  For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.”
Matthew 7:13-14

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about this path lately.  Narrow is the gate AND the way.  Narrow doesn’t really sound fun to me.  Wide…and with lots of other people…sounds much more…well…easy.  But, the path that leads to LIFE is narrow.  And I want to walk THAT path.
This weekend I took both kids to a park near Scottish Rite to celebrate the hospital’s 90th birthday.  There were animals and crafts, but what caught my eye was this path.



I couldn’t help but want to walk over to it.  And I thought of this verse in Matthew 7.  The path was BEAUTIFUL, but it was narrow.  And it wasn’t really EASY to walk (compared to the big road that was paved next to it), but it was so much more enjoyable.  You see, what I am learning is that in order for me to find joy in something, it doesn’t have to be easy.  In fact, what makes it joy is finding the good stuff in the hard times.  Seeing blessings and living in thanksgiving, even though life isn’t perfect and knowing that there will be really hard times.  Here lately, I have to be thankful for that.
As I think more and more about it…I can’t stop thinking that God wants me to walk the narrow path so I can rely on Him to get me through it.  If I go the easy route, I may confuse myself and think that I can do it on my own – and that doesn’t allow for any growth nor does it allow me to connect with Him.  God likes growth, doesn’t He?  And if I am growing in Him, then I am where He wants me to be.  Which is also where I want to be.
As I took pictures of the kids (cause I couldn’t let the pretty setting go by without doing that!), I had to think for a moment of the blessings that come as a result of walking the path the Lord puts me on with Him. 



Pretty amazing, huh?  And what’s even better is that if I get off the beaten path a little bit, He is mighty to save and get me back on track – AND He makes good of all things. 
At the top of the path was this…

Don’t we serve a mighty God???  It is like the reward is this beautiful place where I can sit with Him.  Such a great reminder (amongst a big crowd and lots of noise) of the stillness and peace of our mighty Savior.  He is worthy of our praise!!!

1 comment:

  1. Courtney Willis...what a blessing to read this post today. Thank you for the amazing perspective and the reminders of the joy that God gives when the narrow road may be hard, and winding...love your illustration my friend. I enjoy doing life with you and your family- for this is one of the blessings of walking a path together. You Rock Sistah! lesley bain

    ReplyDelete