Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year - New Beginnings

The start of a new year has so many people taking the time to re-evaluate their priorities, organize & clean out their homes & lives & declutter everything they can, set goals & dream of what what the new year will bring.  My family is no different.

In our business my husband & I spent time in December evaluating our year & looking in amazement at the blessings God brought our way despite a "down" economy and making plans for this year's blessings. In our family we talked about where we would like to go & what we would like to do this next year. In our home we took action & pretty much gutted every drawer, cabinet & closet. We re-arranged furniture & made piles for the trash & piles for Goodwill. Planning & reviewing were necessary but when we actually took action & made a difference in our home I really felt like we were starting a new chapter. It was very refreshing & freeing to let go of some of the "stuff" that was cluttering our house.

As we go thru life there is a lot of "stuff" that  clutters up what we should be doing. Things that get in the way, such as a phone ringing to interrupt relationships or stacks of dishes in the way to start dinner or piles of paperwork that screams for your attention & all you want to do is sit & listen to your child's day. Well this year is a year of New Beginnings for me. My goal is to put away the phone when someone needs my attention, have the chores (like dishes) that prevent me from starting something else done as they happen verses waiting till they are in the way, & making time everyday (even if it's just 5 minutes) to listen, really listen to my kids & my husband.

God desires us to give him our time as well. He desires to be number 1 in our lives & to walk thru life by our side. He desires for us to live a "clutter" free life. The best way for that is daily give him our clutter. Let God carry your burdens for you. Walking daily with God will help you discern what is important in your day & what is the "clutter" you need to put aside. James 1:5 says "if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him."

So I am continuing my quest for simplicity by setting my priorities everyday. I will spend a few minutes each day evaluating what I need to be doing & working to keep my life "de-cluttered!"

No comments:

Post a Comment