Wednesday, December 8, 2010

He Came

Sunday morning, as I was preparing to go to church, I got word from Iowa of a terrible accident. During the night, a young member of our family had been taken from us. It is the kind of turn in life that just doesn't make sense this side of Heaven.

Speaking through tears, a beloved member of my family asked, "How do we celebrate Christmas?" And I confess, in the moment, I didn't have an answer. For as I sat stunned by the events that had come to pass, I couldn't find words.

Though I wanted to sit alone and cry, I went to church with my family instead. And it was there, during worship, that I found clarity. My heart still broke. My spirit ached. And tears streamed down my face as I replayed the news in my mind. But I now understood the answer to the question.

How do we celebrate Christmas in the midst of tragedy?

We celebrate because Christ still came.

He left his throne, came to us as a baby, took on the sins of a fallen world, and conquered death. We celebrate, for without a manger, there is no cross. And without a cross there is no redemption.

We celebrate...

Christ's life.
Christ's death.
Christ's sacrifice.
Christ's resurrection.
Christ's victory.

After all, Christmas is not about beautifully trimmed trees or carefully wrapped gifts. It's not about music, parties, food, or games. The true reason for the season cannot be stolen from us no matter what we may be feeling. And that includes grief.

For many of us this Christmas, the lights will seem a bit dimmer. Still, we celebrate the gift of Christ.

For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."
(Isaiah 9:6)


Celebrate the Savior because He came. For you. For me. He came.

Merry CHRISTmas.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes. Have felt the same feelings on behalf of others. There is a couple that just lost their 47 day old baby two days ago, three kids that just lost their 28 year old mom, a family losing their husband/son/dad and his son is only a handful of months old. So much that causes us to long for Jesus' return. But the good news is...He WAS born and WAS resurrected and we DO have ultimate joy in Him.

    ReplyDelete