Monday, December 6, 2010

Busyness of life

It's that time of year again where we double up on our activity levels with parties & recitals & programs that seem to fill every evening & weekend. This is usually a very high stress time of year for many people. Some have stress due to the amount of people to make time to be with & others due to not enough loved ones around to spend it with. In the months leading up to December God has been speaking to me about the "busyness" of my life. I've been asking myself often if an activity that has been placed in front of me is really necessary or is it something I can do without in order to preserve some calm in my family. I am constantly looking for ways to simplify the "work" at home & the "work" of work without sacrificing the quality of either. I am also looking for ways to delegate or organize so that when I do have an activity come up that requires (or I desire to give) my attention, I do so without spending days playing catch up. I recently heard a sermon on the characteristics of Mary & Martha. They are only mentioned briefly in the Bible but I think that their stories are so incredibly important in our lives. We need to make sure that we don't focus all our time on the preparation for our Lord Jesus but rather spend time at His feet listening & learning what He has for us. This sermon was another reminder for me to work to manage my priorities. Yes as the woman of the house & a helper to my husband it is my responsibility to "manage" my household but God also desires I spend time with him in his presence. So there is a balance that must be found between fulfilling our roles for our families & learning to set & rest & learn from our Savior.

My prayer for you this very "busy" holiday season is that you will take a step back & examine the priorities & activities in you life. I pray that God will grant you wisdom & discernment in your planning.

Proverbs 2:1-8
My child, if you receive my words, and store up my commands within you, by making your ear attentive to wisdom, and by turning your heart to understanding, indeed, if you call out for discernment– raise your voice for understanding – if you seek it like silver, and search for it like hidden treasure, then you will understand how to fear the Lord, and you will discover knowledge about God. For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth comes knowledge and understanding. He stores up effective counsel for the upright, and is like a shield for those who live with integrity, to guard the paths of the righteous and to protect the way of his pious ones.

Merry CHRISTmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment