Monday, July 12, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Last week my family and I headed to Missouri to visit my parents, sister, and various other extended family members. The drive took ten hours and three minutes—not that we were counting....This is our personal best time, so my husband and I were pretty happy with it. My children, on the other hand, did what all children on long journeys do…they asked questions. “Are we there yet?” “What time is it?” “How much longer?” “When can we watch another movie?” And of course there was also the, “I’m bored,” “I’m hungry,” and “I need to go to the bathroom NOW.”

The questions and continual badgering were about to drive me over the edge. I couldn’t understand why they had to ask every couple minutes. We just told you what time it is. We still have 7 hours to go. Why don’t you just go to sleep and we’ll take care of it?

But then I was reminded, isn’t that just how I sound to God? Lord, could you just show me what to do next? How much longer do I have to go through this? When will I be there? Like my children, I ask God over and over about certain things. I also give Him my, “I’m bored with the day to day. I’m discontent with where I am….” It may be said in varying degrees and various situations, but I know that I both question and badger God in a way that is similar to my children in the car.

Yet in all of my questions and frustrations, God remains. He doesn't treat me like my questions are worthless, and He doesn't go "over the edge" because of my constant stream of, "why? when? how long?" I am so thankful that my God has more patience than me...but I'm also reminded that in turn I am to be like Christ, therefore turning to Him in order to have more patience and then teaching my children by example. How will they know if they are not shown? This Jesus life is not one of only laws and rules but of relationship. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them" (Matthew 19:14). I want my example to be one that leads them to Him and does not turn them away.

Who knows? With a little help (and a lot of prayer), maybe I'll be a better example of Him on our next car trip, remembering how much like my children I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment