Thursday, November 5, 2009

It's All About Trust

What do you think of when you hear the word, "Confide?" Maybe you think of slumber parties where you'd share secrets with your best friend. Maybe you remember the first time you told someone that you love him. Or maybe it's a word that you don't particularly like because of the way someone dishonored it when you'd told them something that was precious to you.

No matter what memories the word may conjure, the root of the word means "trust," as in "to impart secrets trustfully" or "to have full trust." It is a word that most of us take seriously, one that implies a relationship is present. I wouldn't confide in someone based on a five minute conversation. I probably wouldn't even confide in someone based on years of casual friendship. I confide in those who I know and those who really know me.

I tell you all of this because I recently came across a Scripture verse about who God confides in. Who do you think it is? I think an easy answer would be, "Jesus" or "the Holy Spirit". I mean, that makes sense, right? Why wouldn't that be who He confides in? But do you know what Psalm 25:14 says? It says, "The Lord confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them." Really? Did we just read that? God will confide in those who fear Him.

That blows me away. I am humbled at the idea of the Creator of the Universe confiding in me. I feel so unworthy, and yet the Lord is gracious, and He longs to have an intimate relationship with us. Just as I don't want to confide in someone who I don't have a relationship with, I believe God doesn't confide in someone He doesn't have a relationship with. In order to truly fear Him (in the sense of being in awe of Him), we have to know Him, and to know Him, we have to spend time with Him (through His Word, in prayer, etc.). And when we do this, when we know Him and fear Him, He will confide in us.

I long for the Mighty King to trust me with some of His secrets and to have full trust in me. I am so grateful for a Gracious Father who chooses not to rule us as His subjects but rather to love us as His children, children whom He sees fit to confide in as we trust in Him. Lord, let it be!

1 comment:

  1. I am so encouraged by this! Thank you so much for sharing your heart. Our God continues to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete