Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas without Lights?


It's Christmastime. Carols and presents. Crazy elves and visits to Santa. Garlands and wreaths. Ornaments on trees with lots of sparkly lights.

Except at my house. No tree lights. No Christmas candles. And definitely no driving at night to look at Christmas lights on houses. It's so strange.

See, my oldest child has migraines. He has had a constant headache since the beginning of November. And while the severity has lessened, one of the worst triggers is flickering light. He will even react if a TV show has flashing or flickering lights. Flourescent lights? Forgetaboutit.

So we have adapted. We just don't do Christmas lights. Actually, we don't turn on many lights in the house at all.

An amazing thing has happened this Advent despite the lack of twinkling lights this season. There is a light shining brighter than ever before in my kids. JESUS.

We have an elf that visits our house each year. Every day he brings a Scripture card with him, so that we are reading through the Christmas story a little each day. His surprises for the kids each day often point to Jesus. Spelling I love Jesus in blocks. Rearranging the Nativity scene. Opening Bibles to the Christmas story.

We also have a jar that a kid opens each day that contains 2 strips of paper. One is a name of Jesus. We have daily conversations about what the different names mean. The second piece asks the child to do something kind for one of his/her siblings. P1 said this is his favorite new tradition.

At night, we read Christmas stories. At least one of them is about Jesus. We talk again and again about why Jesus came. P2 tells me, "God came as baby Jesus. He grew up and loved people. He died on the cross to wash away our sins. And rose again so we can go to Heaven." He is so close to truly understanding God's amazing grace. I know the Holy Spirit is moving in his heart.

After stories, we sing Christmas hymns instead of our usual lullabies. A few nights ago, after singing Joy to the World, Sweet P said, "I want to sing my own song," and sang the most precious song about God coming to us as a baby because he loves us so much. My heart was glowing.

I said, "Oh, that was so beautiful. I know God loved hearing your song. I bet he is teaching the angels your song right now."

"No, Momma," she said. "I learned it from the angels. I heard them singing it."

Oh, I thought I would melt right there. The Light is shining bright in the hearts of my kids. So bright that I don't miss those twinkling lights at all.

John 1:5,9

5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.

Hope you have a Merry Light-filled Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment