Monday, March 12, 2012

Identity Crisis

So, not too long ago, I had my purse stolen out of the front seat of my car. It held my entire identity. It was an absolute mess. My husband and I immediately had to cancel credit cards, change bank accounts, change over all of our direct deposit information, file a police report, and all of the countless other inconveniences that happen as a result of someone snatching access to your identity.

It was very unnerving during those few transitional hours while we made phone calls and froze accounts. I felt as if we were on the verge of complete ruin! I just didn't know what this person was going to do with my information and that felt awful.

Fortunately for me, it ended up alright. I was able to recover most of my important documents and ended up losing only the cash and credit cards. A decent ending scenario all things considered.

As I reflected on the terror of those short moments where someone else could have completely taken control of my life and turned it upside down, I was reminded how my life under God's control differed greatly from this fiasco of a situation.

There is no doubt that when you give up your identity and surrender complete control of your life to Christ that it too will be turned upside down...or, more like, upside right. And, it isn't always easy. But, we can have peace. We don't have to feel a sense of terror about what God might do to us. God's character is on the line. When we completely surrender ourselves to him, he will always come through. He will work things together for good in our lives for the sake of His glory.

I can find rest in that. I hope you can too.

I also remembered the words of this old hymn. Maybe you are familiar with it as well.

"I Know Whom I Have Believed"

I know not why God's wondrous grace
to me he hath made know,
nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
redeemed me for his own.

But I know whom I have believed
and am persuaded that he is able
to keep that which I've committed
unto him against that day.

I know not how this saving faith
to me he did impart,
nor how believing in his word,
wrought peace within my heart.

But I know whom I have believed
and am persuaded that he is able
to keep that which I've committed
unto him against that day.



No comments:

Post a Comment